Changelog for PyInstaller¶
- Fix imports in hooks accessible_output and sound_lib (#2860).
- Fix ImportError for sysconfig for 3.5.4 Conda (#3105, #3106).
- Fix shapely hook for conda environments on Windows (#2838).
- Add hook for unidecode.
- (Windows) Pre-build bootloaders (and custom-build ones using MSVC) can be used on Windows XP again. Set minimum target OS to XP (#2974).
- Fix build for FreeBSD (#2861, #2862).
- Usage: Add help-message clarifying use of options when a spec-file is provided (#3039).
- Add printing infos on UnicodeDecodeError in exec_command(_all).
- (win32) Issue an error message on errors loading the icon file (#2039).
- (aarch64) Use correct bootloader for 64-bit ARM (#2873).
- (OS X) Fix replacement of run-time search path keywords (
- Fix recursion too deep errors cause by reimporting SWIG-like modules (#2911, #3040, #3061).
- Keep order of imported identifiers.
Test-suite and Continuous Integration¶
- In Continuous Integration tests: Enable flake8-diff linting. This will refuse all changed lines not following PEP 8.
- Enable parallel testing on Windows,
- Update requirements.
- Add more test cases for modulegraph.
- Fix a test-case for order of module import.
- Add test-cases to check scripts do not share the same global vars (see Known Issues).
- Add clarification about treatment of options when a spec-file is provided (#3039).
- Add docs for running PyInstaller with Python optimizations (#2905).
- Add notes about limitations of Cython support.
- Add information how to handle undetected ctypes libraries.
- Add notes about requirements and restrictions of SWIG support.
- Add note to clarify what binary files are.
- Add a Development Guide.
- Extend “How to Contribute”.
- Add “Running the Test Suite”.
- Remove badges from the Readme (#2853).
- Update outdated sections in man-pages and otehr enhancements to the man-page.
- All scripts frozen into the package, as well as all run-time hooks, share the same global variables. This issue exists since v3.2 but was discovered only lately, see #3037. This may lead to leaking global variables from run-time hooks into the script and from one script to subsequent ones. It should have effects in rare cases only, though.
- Further see the Known Issues for release 3.3.
- Add Support for Python 3.6! Many thanks to xiovat! (#2331, #2341)
- New command line options for adding data files (
--datas, #1990) and binaries (
- Add command line option ‘–runtime-tmpdir’.
- Bootloaders for Windows are now build using MSVC and statically linked with
the run-time-library (CRT). This solved a lot of issues related to .dlls
being incompatible with the ones required by
- Bootloaders for GNU/Linux are now officially no LSB binaries. This was already the case since release 3.1, but documented the other way round. Also the build defaults to non-LSB binaries now. (#2369)
- We improved and stabilized both building the bootloaders and the continuous integration tests. See below for details. Many thanks to all who worked on this.
- To ease solving issues with packages included wrongly, the html-file with a cross-reference is now always generated. It’s visual appearance has been modernized (#2765).
- Command-line option obsoleted several version ago are not longer handled gracefully but raise an error (#2413)
- Installation: PyInstaller removed some internal copies of 3rd-party packages. These are now taken from their official releases at PyPI (#2589). This results in PyInstaller to no longer can be used from just an unpacked archive, but needs to be installed like any Python package. This should effect only a few people, e.g. the developers.
- Following PEP 527, we only release one source archive now and decided to use .tar.gz (#2754).
- New and Updated hooks: accessible_output2 (#2266), ADIOS (#2096), CherryPy
(#2112), PySide2 (#2471, #2744) (#2472), Sphinx (#2612, 2708) (#2708),
appdir (#2478), clr (#2048), cryptodome (#2125), cryptography (#2013), dclab
(#2657), django (#2037), django migrations (#1795), django.contrib (#2336),
google.cloud, google.cloud.storage, gstreamer (#2603), imageio (#2696),
langcodes (#2682), libaudioverse (#2709), mpl_toolkits (#2400), numba,
llvmlite (#2113), openpyxl (#2066), pylint, pymssql, pyopencl, pyproj
(#2677), pytest (#2119), qtawesome (#2617), redmine, requests (#2334),
setuptools, setuptools (#2565), shapely (#2569), sound_lib (#2267),
sysconfig, uniseg (#2683), urllib3, wx.rc (#2295),
- numpy: Look for .dylib libraries, too ( (#2544), support numpy MKL builds (#1881, #2111)
- osgeo: Add conda specific places to check for auxiliary data (#2401)
- QT and related
- Add hooks for PySide2
- Eliminate run-time hook by placing files in the correct directory
- Fix path in homebrew for searching for qmake (#2354)
- Repair Qt dll location (#2403)
- Bundle PyQT 5.7 DLLs (#2152)
- PyQt5: Return qml plugin path including subdirectory (#2694)
- Fix hooks for PyQt5.QtQuick (#2743)
- PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets: Include files needed by QWebEngine
- GKT+ and related
- Fix Gir file path on windows.
- Fix unnecessary file search & generation when GI’s typelib is exists
- gi: change gir search path when running from a virtualenv
- gi: package gdk-pixbuf in osx codesign agnostic dir
- gi: rewrite the GdkPixbuf loader cache at runtime on Linux
- gi: support onefile mode for GdkPixbuf
- gi: support using gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-64 when present
- gi: GIR files are only required on OSX
- gio: copy the mime.cache also
- Fix hooks for PyGObject on windows platform (#2306)
- Fixed hooks: botocore (#2384), clr (#1801), gstreamer (#2417), h5py (#2686), pylint, Tix data files (#1660), usb.core (#2088), win32com on non-windows-systems (#2479)
multiprocessspawn mode on POSIX OSs (#2322, #2505, #2759, #2795).
- Add tempdir option to control where bootloader will extract files (#2221)
- (Windows) in releases posted on PyPI requires msvcr*.dll (#2343)
- Fix unsafe string manipulation, resource and memory leaks. Thanks to Vito Kortbeek (#2489, #2502, #2503)
- Remove a left-over use of
- Set proper LISTEN_PID (set by systemd) in child process (#2345)
- Adds PID to bootloader log messages (#2466, #2480)
- (Windows) Use _wputenv_s() instead of
- (Windows) Enhance error messages (#1431)
- (Windows) Add workaround for a Python 3 issue http://bugs.python.org/issue29778 (#2496, #2844)
- (OS X): Use single process for –onedir mode (#2616, #2618)
- (GNU/Linux) Compile bootloaders with –no-lsb by default (#2369)
- (GNU/Linux) Fix: linux64 bootloader requires glibc 2.14 (#2160)
- (GNU/Linux) set_dynamic_library_path change breaks plugin library use (#625)
The bootloader build was largely overhauled. In the wscript, the build no longer depends on the Python interpreter’s bit-size, but on the compiler. We have a machine for building bootloaders for Windows and cross-building for OS X. Thus all mainteriner are now able to build the bootloaders for all supported platforms.
Add “official” build-script.
(GNU/Linux) Make –no-lsb the default, add option –lsb.
Largely overhauled Vagrantfile:
- Make Darwin bootloaders build in OS X box (unused)
- Make Windows bootloaders build using MSVC
- Allow specifying cross-target on linux64.
- Enable cross-building for OS X.
- Enable cross-building for Windows (unused)
- Add box for building osxcross.
Largely overhauled wscript:
- Remove options –target-cpu.
- Use compiler’s target arch, not Python’s.
- Major overhaul of the script
- Build zlib if required, not if “on windows”.
- Remove obsolete warnings.
- Update Solaris, AIX and HPUX support.
- Add flags for ‘strip’ tool in AIX platform.
- Don’t set POSIX / SUS version defines.
(GNU/Linux) for 64-bit arm/aarch ignore the gcc flag
- Implement PEP-451 ModuleSpec type import system (#2377)
- Fix: Import not thread-save? (#2010, #2371)
- Analyze: Check Python version when testing whether to rebuild.
- Analyze: Don’t fail on syntax error in modules, simply ignore them.
- Better error message when datas are not found. (#2308)
- Building: OSX: Use unicode literals when creating Info.plist XML
- Building: Don’t fail if “datas” filename contain glob special characters. (#2314)
- Building: Read runtime-tmpdir from .spec-file.
- Building: Update a comment.
- building: warn users if bincache gets corrupted. (#2614)
- Cli-utils: Remove graceful handling of obsolete command line options.
- Configure: Create new parent-dir when moving old cache-dir. (#2679)
- Depend: Include vcruntime140.dll on Windows. (#2487)
- Depend: print nice error message if analyzed script has syntax error.
- Depend: When scanning for ctypes libs remove non-basename binaries.
- Enhance run-time error message on ctypes import error.
- Fix #2585: py2 non-unicode sys.path been tempted by os.path.abspath(). (#2585)
- Fix crash if extension module has hidden import to ctypes. (#2492)
- Fix handling of obsolete command line options. (#2411)
- Fix versioninfo.py breakage on Python 3.x (#2623)
- Fix: “Unicode-objects must be encoded before hashing” (#2124)
- Fix: UnicodeDecodeError - collect_data_files does not return filenames as unicode (#1604)
- Remove graceful handling of obsolete command line options. (#2413)
- Make grab version more polite on non-windows (#2054)
- Make utils/win32/versioninfo.py round trip the version info correctly.
- Makespec: Fix version number processing for PyCrypto. (#2476)
- Optimizations and refactoring to modulegraph and scanning for ctypes dependencies.
- pyinstaller should not crash when hitting an encoding error in source code (#2212)
- Remove destination for COLLECT and EXE prior to copying it (#2701)
- Remove uninformative traceback when adding not found data files (#2346)
- threading bug while processing imports (#2010)
- utils/hooks: Add logging to collect_data_files.
- (win32) Support using pypiwin32 or pywin32-ctypes (#2602)
- (win32) Use os.path.normpath to ensure that system libs are excluded.
- (win32) Look for libpython%.%.dll in Windows MSYS2 (#2571)
- (win32) Make versioninfo.py round trip the version info correctly (#2599)
- (win32) Ensure that pywin32 isn’t imported before check_requirements is called
- (win32) pyi-grab_version and –version-file not working? (#1347)
- (win32) Close PE() object to avoid mmap memory leak (#2026)
- (win32) Fix: ProductVersion in windows version info doesn’t show in some cases (#846)
- (win32) Fix multi-byte path bootloader import issue with python2 (#2585)
- (win32) Forward DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH through arch command. (#2035)
- (win32) Add
vcruntime140.dllto_win_includes for Python 3.5 an 3.6 (#2487)
- (OS X) Add libpython%d.%dm.dylib to Darwin (is_darwin) PYDYLIB_NAMES. (#1971)
- (OS X) macOS bundle Info.plist should be in UTF-8 (#2615)
- (OS X) multiprocessing spawn in python 3 does not work on macOS (#2322)
- (OS X) Pyinstaller not able to find path (@rpath) of dynamic library (#1514)
- Align with upstream version 0.13.
- Add the upstream test-suite
- Warn on syntax error and unicode error. (#2430)
- Switch byte-code analysis to use Instruction (like dis3 does) (#2423)
- Log warning on unicode error instead of only a debug message (#2418)
- Use standard logging for messages. (#2433)
- Fix to reimport failed SWIG C modules (1522, #2578).
- Included 3rd-party libraries
- Remove bundled
macholib, use the releases from PyPI. (#1920, #2689)
- altgraph: Update to altgraph 0.13, add upstream test-suite.
- Remove bundled
- grab_version.py: Display a friendly error message when utility fails (#859, #2792).
Test-suite and Continuous Integration¶
- Rearrange requirements files.
- Pin required versions – now updated using pyup (#2745)
- Hide useless trace-backs of helper-functions.
- Add a test for PyQt5.QtQuick.
- Add functional tests for PySide2
- Add test for new feature –runtime-tmpdir.
- Fix regression-test for #2492.
- unit: Add test-cases for PyiModuleGraph.
- unit/altgraph: Bringing in upstream altgraph test-suite.
- unit/modulegraph: Bringing in the modulegraph test-suite.
- Continuous Integration
- Lots of enhancements to the CI tests to make them more stabile and reliable.
- Pin required versions – now updated using pyup (#2745)
- OS X is now tested along with GNU/Linux at Travis CI (#2508)
- Travis: Use stages (#2753)
- appveyor: Save cache on failure (#2690)
- appveyor: Verify built bootloaders have the expected arch.
- Add information how to donate (#2755, #2772).
- Add how to install the development version using pip.
- Fix installation instructions for development version. (#2761)
- Better examples for hidden imports.
- Clarify and fix “Adding Data Files” and “Adding Binary Files”. (#2482)
- Document new command line option ‘–runtime-tmpdir’.
- pyinstaller works on powerpc linux, big endian arch (#2000)
- Largely rewrite section “Building the Bootloader”, update from the wiki page.
- Describe building LSB-compliant bootloader as (now) special case.
- help2rst: Add cross-reference labels for option-headers.
- Enable sphinx.ext.intersphinx and links to our website.
- Sphinx should not “adjust” display of command line documentation (#2217)
- Data-files from wheels, unzipped eggs or not ad egg at all are not included
automatically. This can be worked around using a hook-file, but may not
suffice when using
--onefileand something like python-daemon.
- The multipackage (MERGE) feature (#1527) is currently broken.
- (OSX) Support for OpenDocument events (#1309) is broken.
- (Windows) With Python 2.7 the frozen application may not run if the
user-name (more specifically
%TEMPDIR%) includes some Unicode characters. This does not happen with all Unicode characters, but only some and seems to be a windows bug. As a work-around please upgrade to Python 3 (#2754, #2767).
- (Windows) For Python >= 3.5 targeting Windows < 10, the developer needs to take special care to include the Visual C++ run-time .dlls. Please see the section Platform-specific Notes in the manual. (#1566)
- For Python 3.3, imports are not thread-safe (#2371#). Since Python 3.3 is end of live at 2017-09-29, we are not going to fix this.